The standard size of a pool table is 8-feet long, however, it’s the dimensions of the playing area that make it an official regulation size table. Typically on an 8-foot table, the playing area is 88 inches long and 44 inches wide. The playing size is measured from the inside of the billiard rail cushion.
If you’re considering a pool table for your home, there are a few different options to choose from depending on the size of the room your billiard table will reside. The most common size regulation tables are the 7 and 8-foot billiard tables. Choose the right pool table based on room size and cue size to ensure you have a comfortable playing area from all sides of the table.
Bar size pool tables (7-foot regulation size table)
A bar size billiard table refers to a 7-foot table and is most commonly a coin-operated table you often see in bars (no surprise there!). Coin-operated pool tables are 7-feet long with a playing field of 78 inches long and 39 inches wide.
Tournament size tables (9-foot regulation size table)
Tournament sized tables are considered 9-foot tables with a playing area of 100 inches long and 50 inches wide. These are the classic full-sized regulation billiard tables on which the game was first played on.
Billiard tournaments are still held on these sized tables. A “regulation” can be considered regulation as long as the length doubles the width. This makes 6-foot pool tables regulation tables with a playing field of 70 inches long by 35 inches wide.
Regulation pool table sizes
- 12-ft (snooker): 140″ (356.9 cm) x 70″ (177.8 cm)
- 10-ft (oversized): 112″ (284.5 cm) x 56″ (142.2 cm)
- 9-ft (regulation size table): 100″ (254 cm) x 50″ (127 cm)
- 8-ft+ (pro 8): 92″ (233.7 cm) x 46″ (116.8 cm)
- 8-ft (typical home table): 88″ (223.5 cm) x 44″ (111.8 cm)
- 7-ft+ (large “bar box”): 78-82″ (198.1-208.3 cm) x 39-41″ (99.1-104.1 cm)
- 7-ft (“bar box”): 74-78″ (188-198.1 cm) x 37-39″ (94-99.1 cm)
- 6-ft (“small bar box”): 70-74″ (177.8-188 cm) x 35-37″ (88.9-94 cm)
To find the ideal billiard table for sale at our store, visit our product page or come in to the showroom.