Imagine this: you on your backyard deck, sitting under the gazebo (or umbrella, whatever tickles your fancy). The sun is setting in the gorgeous, pink tinged western sky and you gaze upon it in a state of utter relaxation. Your feet are up on your stunning outdoor ottoman and there’s an ice-cold beer in your hand (or a glass of wine, perhaps a margarita, we don’t judge). Life here seems just about perfect, doesn’t it?
Well, it’s not and we’ll tell you what’s missing: a giant, heaping, steaming plate of tender and juicy baby back ribs. Thankfully, we at Canadian Home Leisure have just the recipe for you.
Literally. Here’s our favourite recipe for the best baby back ribs*:
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 2 hours 40 minutes
Ready In: 3 hours
2 (2 pound) slabs baby back pork ribs
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground red chili pepper
2¼ tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup minced onion
1½ cups water
1 ½ cup tomato paste
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
2 ½ tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1¼ teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
2 teaspoons whiskey
2 teaspoons garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dark molasses
½ tablespoon ground red chile pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degree F (150 degrees C).
- Cut each full rack of ribs in half, so that you have 4 half racks. Sprinkle salt and pepper (more pepper than salt), and 1 tablespoon chilli pepper over meat. Wrap each half rack in aluminum foil. Bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir the onions in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, liquid smoke, whiskey, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, dark molasses, and 1/2 tablespoon ground chilli pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, and set sauce aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Remove the ribs from the oven, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove the racks from the foil, and place on the grill. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Brush sauce on the ribs while they’re grilling, just before you serve them (adding it too early will burn it).
A new barbeque for your backyard is the best way to get the most delicious, homemade baby back ribs. Get your Weber or Broil King BBQ at Canadian Home Leisure located at 1515 Hopkins St. Whitby or give us a call at 905.430.9965.
*Recipe from allrecipes.com, by Scott David Hibbard